Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 27 points (0.2%) at 16,518 as of Monday, May 19, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,874 issues advancing vs. 1,111 declining with 157 unchanged. The Basic Materials sector as a whole closed the day up 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.4%. Top gainers within the Basic Materials sector included Flexible Solutions International ( FSI), up 2.9%, Ossen Innovation ( OSN), up 4.8%, Alderon Iron Ore ( AXX), up 3.6%, PostRock Energy ( PSTR), up 4.0% and Solitario Exploration & Royalty ( XPL), up 1.8%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the sector higher today: Alderon Iron Ore ( AXX) is one of the companies that pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today. Alderon Iron Ore was up $0.05 (3.6%) to $1.35 on light volume. Throughout the day, 3,900 shares of Alderon Iron Ore exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 23,400 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.30-$1.35 after having opened the day at $1.35 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.30. Alderon Iron Ore has a market cap of $165.0 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are down 19.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on AXX go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Alderon Iron Ore Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, OSSEN INNOVATION CO LTD -ADR has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Metals & Mining industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 126.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.74 million to $1.68 million.
- The gross profit margin for OSSEN INNOVATION CO LTD -ADR is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.87%. Regardless of OSN's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, OSN's net profit margin of 5.06% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 340.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.07 million to -$0.16 million.
- FLEXIBLE SOLUTIONS INTL INC's earnings have gone downhill when comparing its most recently reported quarter with the same quarter a year earlier. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FLEXIBLE SOLUTIONS INTL INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.14 versus -$0.08 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 92.8% in earnings ($0.01 versus $0.14).
- This stock's share value has moved by only 36.19% over the past year. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- FSI, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 11.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 15.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.