Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 40 points (0.2%) at 16,487 as of Friday, May 16, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,578 issues advancing vs. 1,383 declining with 164 unchanged. The Internet industry as a whole closed the day down 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.3%. Top gainers within the Internet industry included Selectica ( SLTC), up 2.2%, Internet Initiative Japan ( IIJI), up 3.7%, Rediff.com India ( REDF), up 4.8%, TheStreet ( TST), up 4.0% and Sify Technologies ( SIFY), up 4.1%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Rediff.com India ( REDF) is one of the companies that pushed the Internet industry higher today. Rediff.com India was up $0.10 (4.8%) to $2.18 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 268,581 shares of Rediff.com India exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 64,800 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $2.10-$2.27 after having opened the day at $2.11 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.08. Rediff.com India has a market cap of $61.6 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are down 10.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on REDF go as follows: You can view the full analysis from the report here: Rediff.com India Ratings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
- IIJI's revenue growth trails the industry average of 21.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.32, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.30 is sturdy.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 47.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $10.16 million to $5.35 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, INTERNET INITIATIVE JAPAN INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 100.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$1.06 million to -$2.12 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, SELECTICA INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 5.04 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SLTC's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.04, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 29.47%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 48.64% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- SELECTICA INC's earnings per share declined by 48.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SELECTICA INC continued to lose money by earning -$1.67 versus -$2.25 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 9.0% in earnings (-$1.82 versus -$1.67).