Shareholders of BGC Partners, Inc. (BGCP) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 7% annualized dividend yield can sell the November covered call at the $7.50 strike and collect the premium based on the 25 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $7.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BGCP shares would have to climb 9.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 13.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of BGC Partners, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for BGCP below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 7% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing BGCP's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $7.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the November covered call at the $7.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $7.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for BGC Partners, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $6.87) to be 29%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BGCP Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
CDW Shares Leap as IT Solutions Group Added to S&P 500 Benchmark
CDW shares were indicated sharply higher in pre-market trading Wednesday after the IT solutions group was tabbed to join the S&P 500 next week.
Jim Cramer Takes a Look Ahead to the Federal Reserve Decision
Jim Cramer breaks down what to expect from today's Fed meeting and rates decision.
Federal Reserve, FedEx, Adobe, Facebook and Chewy - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures fall modestly in cautious trading as investors focus on the Federal Reserve's interest rates decision expected later Wednesday; FedEx sinks after fiscal first-quarter earnings at the shipping giant miss analysts' forecasts and the company lowers its outlook for fiscal 2020; Adobe falls on weak fourth-quarter guidance; Facebook reportedly is working with Ray-Ban to develop augmented reality glasses.
Dow Futures Drift Lower, Global Markets Cautious Ahead of Fed Rate Decision
Global stocks traded cautiously Wednesday, with investors focused on both the U.S. Federal Reserve's September rate decision later today in Washington and the impact of last weekend's attacks on two key Saudi oil facilities on world crude markets.