Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."ONEOK Partners (NYSE: OKS) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.50%. ONEOK Partners, L.P. is engaged in the gathering, processing, storage, and transportation of natural gas in the United States. It operates in three segments: Natural Gas Gathering and Processing, Natural Gas Liquids, and Natural Gas Pipelines. The company has a P/E ratio of 19.66. The average volume for ONEOK Partners has been 635,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. ONEOK Partners has a market cap of $8.6 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 2.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates ONEOK Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 25.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 69.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $156.60 million to $265.39 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 153.06% to $459.16 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, ONEOK PARTNERS -LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 16.30%.
- ONEOK PARTNERS -LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ONEOK PARTNERS -LP reported lower earnings of $2.35 versus $3.04 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.85 versus $2.35).
- You can view the full ONEOK Partners Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 14.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP increased its bottom line by earning $1.00 versus $0.93 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.16 versus $1.00).
- The gross profit margin for REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP is rather low; currently it is at 19.25%. Regardless of RGC's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RGC's net profit margin of -0.16% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 105.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $22.50 million to -$1.20 million.
- In its most recent trading session, RGC has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the decline in its share price over the last year, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays compensate for this.
- You can view the full Regal Entertainment Group Ratings Report.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, FTR's share price has jumped by 42.58%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- 44.89% is the gross profit margin for FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of FTR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 3.40% trails the industry average.
- FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP's earnings per share declined by 20.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP reported lower earnings of $0.12 versus $0.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.23 versus $0.12).
- FTR, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.3%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Although FTR's debt-to-equity ratio of 2.03 is very high, it is currently less than that of the industry average. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, FTR's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.07, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Frontier Communications Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.