- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 57.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$1.03 million to -$1.62 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, ADVANCED PHOTONIX INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- In its most recent trading session, API has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- ADVANCED PHOTONIX INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ADVANCED PHOTONIX INC reported poor results of -$0.13 versus -$0.07 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.05 versus -$0.13).
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.34, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that API's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.62, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
At the close, Advanced Photonix ( API) was down $0.05 (9.6%) to $0.47 on average volume. Throughout the day, 53,645 shares of Advanced Photonix exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 53,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.45-$0.49 after having opened the day at $0.48 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.52. Advanced Photonix, Inc. engages in the development, manufacture, and sale of optoelectronic devices, and sub-systems and systems to various original equipment manufacturers primarily in North America, Asia, Europe, and Australia. Advanced Photonix has a market cap of $15.5 million and is part of the computer software & services industry. Shares are down 28.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Advanced Photonix a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Advanced Photonix as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on API go as follows: