- TRK's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.80, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels.
- SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.15 versus $1.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.00 versus -$0.15).
- In its most recent trading session, TRK has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, SPEEDWAY MOTORSPORTS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. The Leisure industry as a whole closed the day down 0.5% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.1%. Laggards within the Leisure industry included Bowl America ( BWL.A), down 6.3%, Chanticleer Holdings ( HOTR), down 2.0%, Lakes Entertainment ( LACO), down 2.3%, Asia Entertainment & Resources ( IKGH), down 2.6% and Speedway Motorsports ( TRK), down 1.7%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today: Speedway Motorsports ( TRK) is one of the companies that pushed the Leisure industry lower today. Speedway Motorsports was down $0.31 (1.7%) to $18.08 on light volume. Throughout the day, 20,771 shares of Speedway Motorsports exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 28,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $17.93-$18.34 after having opened the day at $18.34 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $18.39. Speedway Motorsports, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as a promoter, marketer, and sponsor of motorsports activities in the United States. Speedway Motorsports has a market cap of $738.5 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are down 7.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Speedway Motorsports a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Speedway Motorsports as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on TRK go as follows: