Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 112 points (0.7%) at 16,695 as of Monday, May 12, 2014, 4:20 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,429 issues advancing vs. 632 declining with 133 unchanged. The Transportation industry as a whole closed the day up 2.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 1.0%. Top gainers within the Transportation industry included China Metro-Rural Holdings ( CNR), up 17.7%, Sino-Global Shipping America ( SINO), up 1.8%, PHI ( PHII), up 3.2%, Globus Maritime ( GLBS), up 2.9% and Ultrapetrol Bahamas ( ULTR), up 5.4%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: PHI ( PHII) is one of the companies that pushed the Transportation industry higher today. PHI was up $1.32 (3.2%) to $42.50 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 5,783 shares of PHI exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $42.00-$42.50 after having opened the day at $42.50 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $41.18. PHI, Inc. provides helicopter transportation services to the oil and gas exploration, development, and production industry, principally in the Gulf of Mexico. The company operates in three business segments: Oil and Gas, Air Medical, and Technical Services. PHI has a market cap of $119.0 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are up 3.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are no analysts who rate PHI a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates PHI as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on PHII go as follows:
- PHII's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 58.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- PHI INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, PHI INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.77 versus $1.16 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income increased by 388.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3.44 million to $16.83 million.
- The gross profit margin for SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 31.47%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 20.22% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Transportation Infrastructure industry and the overall market, SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- SINO, with its very weak revenue results, has greatly underperformed against the industry average of 9.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues plummeted by 61.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA continued to lose money by earning -$0.39 versus -$0.61 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Transportation Infrastructure industry. The net income increased by 271.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$0.29 million to $0.50 million.