Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. All three major indices traded up today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 115 points (0.7%) at 16,699 as of Monday, May 12, 2014, 3:55 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,399 issues advancing vs. 608 declining with 135 unchanged. The Energy industry as a whole closed the day up 1.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 1.0%. Top gainers within the Energy industry included Sonde Resources ( SOQ), up 5.9%, Barnwell Industries ( BRN), up 4.6%, ZaZa Energy ( ZAZA), up 9.3%, Constellation Energy Partners ( CEP), up 1.9% and Isramco ( ISRL), up 2.0%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the industry higher today: Constellation Energy Partners ( CEP) is one of the companies that pushed the Energy industry higher today. Constellation Energy Partners was up $0.04 (1.9%) to $2.44 on light volume. Throughout the day, 12,834 shares of Constellation Energy Partners exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 64,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $2.40-$2.45 after having opened the day at $2.40 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.40. Constellation Energy Partners LLC focuses on the exploration, development, and production of oil and natural gas properties, as well as midstream assets in the United States. Constellation Energy Partners has a market cap of $68.2 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are unchanged year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Constellation Energy Partners a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Constellation Energy Partners as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on CEP go as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CEP's share price has jumped by 54.83%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 82.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$76.26 million to -$13.07 million.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.51, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.83 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- CONSTELLATION ENERGY PRTNRS has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CONSTELLATION ENERGY PRTNRS reported poor results of -$0.94 versus -$0.39 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.15 versus -$0.94).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CONSTELLATION ENERGY PRTNRS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.