While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Triangle Capital Corporation (NYSE: TCAP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.70%. Triangle Capital Corporation is a business development company specializing in private equity and mezzanine investments. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.31. The average volume for Triangle Capital Corporation has been 235,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Triangle Capital Corporation has a market cap of $690.3 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 8.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Triangle Capital Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 83.63%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 80.81% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 75.61% to -$12.28 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 75.61%, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 162.25%.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Capital Markets industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 14.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $15.59 million to $17.77 million.
- TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP has improved earnings per share by 12.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TRIANGLE CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $2.94 versus $2.23 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 26.9% in earnings ($2.15 versus $2.94).
- You can view the full Triangle Capital Corporation Ratings Report.