NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Nuance Communications Inc. (NUAN) are down -2.38% to $15.16 on Friday after the company said non-GAAP net income was $88.3 million, or 28 cents per diluted share, versus $110.4 million, or 34 cents per diluted share from the 2013 second quarter.
The company, which is a global provider of voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers, said non-GAAP revenue increased for the 2014 second quarter to $490 million, from $484 million for the year ago quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS INC (NUAN) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- NUAN's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.91 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.40 is sturdy.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 150.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$22.10 million to -$55.41 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market, NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NUAN Ratings Report