Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Transocean ( RIG) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Transocean as such a stock due to the following factors:
- RIG has 11x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 13.10 mentions/day.
- RIG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $182.1 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in RIG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for RIG NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on RIG: Transocean Ltd., together with its subsidiaries, provides offshore contract drilling services for oil and gas wells worldwide. The company provides deepwater and harsh environment drilling, oil and gas drilling management, and drilling engineering and drilling project management services. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 5.2%. RIG has a PE ratio of 11.1. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Transocean a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 13 rate it a hold. The average volume for Transocean has been 5.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Transocean has a market cap of $15.6 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.09 and a short float of 12.5% with 10.56 days to cover. Shares are down 12.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Transocean as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- RIG's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.64 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that RIG's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.57 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $773.00 million or 16.25% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $456.00 million to $233.00 million.
- You can view the full Transocean Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.