- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 54.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$1.99 million to -$3.08 million.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 43.97%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 28.57% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ORAGENICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- ORAGENICS INC's earnings per share declined by 28.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ORAGENICS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.57 versus -$0.95 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.37 versus -$0.57).
- The gross profit margin for ORAGENICS INC is currently very high, coming in at 84.60%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -708.04% is in-line with the industry average.
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Two out of the three major indices traded up today The three major indices are trading lower today with the Dow Jones Industrial Average ( ^DJI) trading up 118 points (0.7%) at 16,519 as of Wednesday, May 7, 2014, 4:20 PM ET. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 1,991 issues advancing vs. 1,077 declining with 137 unchanged. The Health Care sector as a whole closed the day down 1.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.6%. Top gainers within the Health Care sector included Reliv' International ( RELV), up 7.4%, EntreMed ( ENMD), up 3.5%, Oragenics ( OGEN), up 3.3%, Redhill Biopharma ( RDHL), up 1.7% and Misonix ( MSON), up 2.5%. TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks pushing the sector higher today: Oragenics ( OGEN) is one of the companies that pushed the Health Care sector higher today. Oragenics was up $0.06 (3.3%) to $1.89 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 69,351 shares of Oragenics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 27,900 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $1.56-$1.99 after having opened the day at $1.86 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.83. Oragenics, Inc. focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of various technologies associated with oral health, antibiotics, and other general health benefits. Oragenics has a market cap of $69.0 million and is part of the health services industry. Shares are down 32.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Oragenics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings rates Oragenics as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on OGEN go as follows: