While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Town Sports International Holdings (NASDAQ: CLUB) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.40%. Town Sports International Holdings, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, owns and operates fitness clubs in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 36.18. The average volume for Town Sports International Holdings has been 161,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Town Sports International Holdings has a market cap of $149.3 million and is part of the leisure industry. Shares are down 59% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Town Sports International Holdings as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its generally strong cash flow from operations. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $16.91 million or 4.97% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, TOWN SPORTS INTL HOLDINGS has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -85.10%.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 4.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.3%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 33.51%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 50.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 53.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.45 million to -$0.70 million.
- The gross profit margin for TOWN SPORTS INTL HOLDINGS is rather low; currently it is at 21.89%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -0.61% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Town Sports International Holdings Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- PBT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.25, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- PERMIAN BASIN ROYALTY TRUST has improved earnings per share by 15.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PERMIAN BASIN ROYALTY TRUST reported lower earnings of $0.87 versus $1.16 in the prior year.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PERMIAN BASIN ROYALTY TRUST's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Permian Basin Royalty Ratings Report.
- The gross profit margin for FLY LEASING LTD -ADR is currently very high, coming in at 96.50%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 15.81% is above that of the industry average.
- FLY, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.40 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Trading Companies & Distributors industry and the overall market, FLY LEASING LTD -ADR's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Fly Leasing Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.