Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Estee Lauder Cos ( EL) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Estee Lauder Cos as such a stock due to the following factors:
- EL has 12x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 3.19 mentions/day.
- EL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $173.6 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in EL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for EL NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on EL: The Estee Lauder Companies Inc. manufactures, markets, and sells skin care, makeup, fragrance, and hair care products worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.1%. EL has a PE ratio of 27.5. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Estee Lauder Cos a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Estee Lauder Cos has been 2.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Estee Lauder Cos has a market cap of $17.4 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. The stock has a beta of 0.99 and a short float of 1.9% with 1.96 days to cover. Shares are down 3.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Estee Lauder Cos as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- EL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.35, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, EL has a quick ratio of 1.59, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for LAUDER (ESTEE) COS INC is currently very high, coming in at 83.95%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 14.32% is above that of the industry average.
- LAUDER (ESTEE) COS INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LAUDER (ESTEE) COS INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.58 versus $2.16 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.87 versus $2.58).
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Personal Products industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 3.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $447.50 million to $432.50 million.
- You can view the full Estee Lauder Cos Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.