For those who are moving this season, here are some tips and tricks from Sabrina and ADT.
- Purge, Clean, Organize: A good rule of thumb is that if you won’t use it or wear it in the first six months at the new home, you should think again before it gets put into a box. Donate canned goods and unwanted clothes to local donation centers, and consider second-hand online classifieds for larger items such as lamps and furniture. As you work your way through cupboards and closets, be sure to clean, organize and inventory the remaining items that will be coming to your new home.
- Start Moving: It’s move day – here’s what to do. When the movers arrive, do a full walk-through of the home with the entire crew to point out how you would like your belongings organized and packed. It is important to request that boxes are packed by room, and to make note of how to handle fragile and valuable items. This will save time, money and headaches in the long run.
- Designate a Happy Place: Reduce stress by choosing one room in your new house to unpack completely on Day 1. Make this your “happy place,” so that even if the rest of the home is chaotic, you can always return to a clean, organized space where you’ll feel at ease.
- Get Secured: Feeling secure and in control is an important part of transforming a house into a home. With an ADT Pulse® system, you can rest assured in knowing you have monitored security protection along with mobile access to home automation controls so you can safely run errands, and even lock and unlock doors for plumbers, electricians and technicians you trust. The system will also allow you to control lighting, thermostats and home appliances.
- Snap and Share: Use your smart phone or digital camera to take pictures throughout the process. Share a photo of a room that deserves a house-to-home makeover in the #MoveInMakeover contest at www.facebook.com/adt for a chance to win $1,000, an ADT Pulse® home security and automation system, and a video chat with Sabrina about your house-to-home design inspiration and ideas.