By midafternoon, shares had dropped 6.5% to $4.64. Since reporting results after the bell Wednesday, the stock is down 34.9%.
The company anticipates fourth-quarter revenue between $94 million and $100 million and earnings break-even to 5 cents a share, well below analysts' expectations of $115.7 million and 18 cents a share.
TheStreet Ratings team rates EMULEX CORP as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate EMULEX CORP (ELX) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ELX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Although ELX's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.28 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.74, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Communications Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 172.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.58 million to -$4.03 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Communications Equipment industry and the overall market, EMULEX CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ELX Ratings Report