Click on the interactive chart to view data over time.Will these mergers and rumored mergers pay off? Use the list below to begin your analysis and let us know what you think in the comments. 1. Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. ( VRX): A specialty pharmaceutical company, develops, manufactures, and markets pharmaceutical products in the areas of neurology, dermatology, and branded generics. Market cap at $45.76B, most recent closing price at $133.71. Valeant announced its takeover bid for Allergan last week for almost $46 billion.
2. Allergan Inc. ( AGN): Operates as a multi-specialty healthcare company primarily in the United States, Europe, Latin America, and the Asia Pacific. Market cap at $50.44B, most recent closing price at $165.85.
3. GlaxoSmithKline plc ( GSK): Engages in the discovery, development, manufacture, and marketing of pharmaceutical products, over the counter (OTC) medicines, and health-related consumer products worldwide. Market cap at $132.77B, most recent closing price at $55.37. GlaxoSmithKline has pursued a number of swaps and deals with the Swiss drug maker Novartis.
4. Pfizer Inc. ( PFE): Pfizer Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, offers prescription medicines for humans and animals worldwide. Market cap at $198.24B, most recent closing price at $31.28. Astra Zeneca turned down a $99 billion offer from Pfizer on Monday. They're not giving up however.
5. Novartis AG ( NVS): Engages in the research, development, manufacture, and marketing of healthcare products worldwide. Market cap at $212.00B, most recent closing price at $86.94.
6. Forest Laboratories Inc. ( FRX): Develops, manufactures, and sells branded and generic forms of ethical drug products. Market cap at $25.49B, most recent closing price at $91.91. Carl Icahn orchestrated a multi-billion takeover by Actavis worth about $25 billion.
7. Actavis plc ( ACT): Engaged in the development, manufacture, marketing, sale, and distribution of pharmaceutical products. Market cap at $36.61B, most recent closing price at $204.33.
8. AstraZeneca PLC ( AZN): Develops, and commercializes prescription medicines for cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, infection, neuroscience, oncology, and respiratory and inflammation diseases worldwide. Market cap at $99.73B, most recent closing price at $68.05.
(List compiled by James Dennin, a Kapitall Writer. Monthly returns sourced from Zacks Investment Research.)