The company reported front-end comparable-store sales increased 4.7% with 4.6% of that increase attributable to a change in the date of Easter, which fell on April 20 in 2014 and March 31 in 2013.
Pharmacy comparable-store sales increased 5.2%, while prescription count at comparable stores rose 2.3%. Total drugstore sales increased 4.9% to $1.995 billion from $1.902 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
The stock was up 6.03% to $7.74 at 10:07 a.m.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates RITE AID CORP as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate RITE AID CORP (RAD) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- RAD's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- RITE AID CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RITE AID CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.22 versus $0.12 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.38 versus $0.22).
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, RAD's share price has jumped by 175.96%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- The gross profit margin for RITE AID CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 30.13%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.83% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $194.13 million or 11.90% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, RITE AID CORP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RAD Ratings Report