YieldBoost IDCC To 14.5% Using Options

Shareholders of InterDigital (IDCC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.2% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $36 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.30 bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $36 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IDCC shares would have to advance 4.4% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 14% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of InterDigital Inc , looking at the dividend history chart for IDCC below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.2% annualized dividend yield.

IDCC+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing IDCC's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $36 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $36 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $36. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for InterDigital Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $34.33) to be 38%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IDCC Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

General Electric's Boot From the Dow: Is This as Bad as It Can Get?

General Electric's Boot From the Dow: Is This as Bad as It Can Get?

News From Starbucks and General Electric Leaves Their Investors Up in Arms

News From Starbucks and General Electric Leaves Their Investors Up in Arms

Facebook Messenger Could Bring in Billions of Dollars -- Here's How

Facebook Messenger Could Bring in Billions of Dollars -- Here's How

How to Invest in Cannabis - In Its Many Forms

How to Invest in Cannabis - In Its Many Forms

5 Stocks That Are Screaming Buys Right Now

5 Stocks That Are Screaming Buys Right Now