The alternative asset management firm reported net income was $322 million, or 85 cents per share, compared to $394 million, or $1.02 per share from the same quarter 2013.
The company's revenue increased to $897 million from $852 million in the year ago quarter.
Profits fell in the 2014 first quarter as a result of the firm cashing out fewer deals and slowing its rate for making new investments.
In the 2014 first quarter the company made $3.1 billion in asset sales, compared to $4.1 billion in the same period last year.
TheStreet Ratings team rates CARLYLE GROUP LP as a Sell with a ratings score of E+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CARLYLE GROUP LP (CG) a SELL. This is based on the combination of unfavorable investment measures, which should drive this stock to significantly underperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The area that we feel has been the company's primary weakness has been its relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry, implying reduced upside potential.
- 45.14% is the gross profit margin for CARLYLE GROUP LP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, CG's net profit margin of 4.35% significantly trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 1931.38% to $437.70 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CARLYLE GROUP LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 96.60%.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, CARLYLE GROUP LP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- CARLYLE GROUP LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CARLYLE GROUP LP increased its bottom line by earning $1.80 versus $0.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.30 versus $1.80).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CG Ratings Report