Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Valero Energy ( VLO) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.6%. By the end of trading, Valero Energy rose $1.30 (2.3%) to $57.97 on average volume. Throughout the day, 9,686,870 shares of Valero Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 7,960,500 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $56.38-$58.33 after having opened the day at $57.03 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $56.67. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Magellan Petroleum ( MPET), up 10.9%, Metabolix ( MBLX), up 8.5%, Polymet Mining ( PLM), up 7.0% and Quicksilver Resources ( KWK), up 6.8%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Valero Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.