- Net earnings were $50.2 million, or $1.49 per diluted share, an 8 percent increase from first-quarter 2013 results.
- Sales increased to $422.0 million from $383.7 million in the prior-year period. Continued severe winter weather in North America boosted salt segment sales by 8 percent, while steady demand lifted specialty fertilizer segment sales by 22 percent.
- First-quarter operating earnings were $67.0 million compared to $67.5 million in the 2013 quarter primarily as the benefit from higher sales volumes was suppressed by lower North American highway deicing prices that were established during last summer’s bid process.
- Adjusted EBITDA* was $85.4 million compared to $84.8 million in the prior-year quarter.
- The company generated $160.7 million in cash flow from operations, a $31.9 million increase from the 2013 quarter’s results.
|Compass Minerals Financial Results (dollars in millions, except for earnings per share)|
|Three months ended March 31,|
|Sales less shipping and handling costs (product sales)||291.3||268.4|
|Diluted earnings per share||1.49||1.38|