Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified American Electric Power ( AEP) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified American Electric Power as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AEP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $166.9 million.
- AEP has traded 138,984 shares today.
- AEP is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AEP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AEP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on AEP: American Electric Power Company, Inc., a public utility holding company, is engaged in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity for sale to retail and wholesale customers. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4%. AEP has a PE ratio of 16.5. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate American Electric Power a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold. The average volume for American Electric Power has been 3.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. American Electric has a market cap of $25.2 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.21 and a short float of 1.2% with 1.88 days to cover. Shares are up 11% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates American Electric Power as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AEP's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.04 versus $2.60 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.33 versus $3.04).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electric Utilities industry. The net income increased by 1547.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $21.00 million to $346.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electric Utilities industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER CO has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full American Electric Power Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.