Update (9:35 a.m.): Updated with Friday market open information.
Credit Suisse increased its price target to $117, increased its estimates and set an "outperform" rating given the company's new guidance. UBS also increased its price target to $106 and set a "neutral" rating thanks to strong operating margin improvement with healthy construction segment.
The stock was down 0.53% to $104.72 at 9:35 a.m. on Friday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CATERPILLAR INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CATERPILLAR INC (CAT) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, increase in net income, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Machinery industry average. The net income increased by 43.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $697.00 million to $1,003.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $2,580.00 million or 30.36% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CATERPILLAR INC has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 27.90%.
- CATERPILLAR INC has improved earnings per share by 48.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CATERPILLAR INC reported lower earnings of $5.75 versus $8.49 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.90 versus $5.75).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 17.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.4%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CAT Ratings Report