NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Texas Instruments Inc. (TXN) are higher by 4.39% to $48.50, after the semiconductor company said second quarter profit may be higher than analysts' estimates as demand increases for chips used in cellular networks, Bloomberg reports.
The company said net income will be 55 cents to 63 cents a share on sales of $3.14 billion to $3.4 billion.
Yesterday, Texas Instruments reported first quarter net income of $487 million, or 44 cents a share, compared to $362 million, or 32 cents a share, a year ago.
Revenue was up 3.4% to $2.98 billion.
Both numbers beat analysts estimates of 41 cents a share on $2.96 billion of sales.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC (TXN) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and notable return on equity. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TXN's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 100.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 26.51% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TXN should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.92 versus $1.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.09 versus $1.92).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 93.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $264.00 million to $511.00 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TXN Ratings Report