Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Medidata Solutions ( MDSO) as a "perilous reversal" (up big yesterday but down big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Medidata Solutions as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MDSO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $95.4 million.
- MDSO has traded 91,662 shares today.
- MDSO is down 3.1% today.
- MDSO was up 7.9% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MDSO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MDSO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MDSO: Medidata Solutions, Inc. provides cloud-based clinical development solutions for life sciences in the United States and internationally. MDSO has a PE ratio of 211.2. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Medidata Solutions a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold. The average volume for Medidata Solutions has been 927,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Medidata has a market cap of $2.3 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. Shares are down 27.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Medidata Solutions as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally higher debt management risk. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 27.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, MDSO's share price has jumped by 84.81%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC is currently very high, coming in at 77.81%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.78% trails the industry average.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. When compared to other companies in the Health Care Technology industry and the overall market, MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Technology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 91.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.59 million to $0.58 million.
- You can view the full Medidata Solutions Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.