- LUV has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 4.23 mentions/day.
- LUV has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $174.0 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in LUV with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for LUV NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on LUV: Southwest Airlines Co. operates passenger airlines that provide scheduled air transportation services in the United States. As of December 31, 2012, the company operated 694 aircraft, including 606 Boeing 737 aircraft and 88 Boeing 717 aircraft. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.7%. LUV has a PE ratio of 22.8. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Southwest Airlines a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Southwest Airlines has been 7.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Southwest Airlines has a market cap of $16.5 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 0.91 and a short float of 3% with 2.56 days to cover. Shares are up 27.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Southwest Airlines as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, solid stock price performance and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- LUV's revenue growth trails the industry average of 24.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- SOUTHWEST AIRLINES reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SOUTHWEST AIRLINES increased its bottom line by earning $1.06 versus $0.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.43 versus $1.06).
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $289.00 million or 25.10% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SOUTHWEST AIRLINES has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -47.75%.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 172.72% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 78.60% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.38, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that LUV's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.63, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- You can view the full Southwest Airlines Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.