NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Air Products & Chemicals (APD) shares are down -0.48% to $118.60 following the release of the company's second quarter earnings results.
The diversified chemical products company posted net income of $284 million, or $1.32 per diluted share in the quarter, missing analysts consensus EPS estimates by 3 cents.
Year over year quarterly revenue rose 3.9% to $2.58 billion, beating analysts consensus estimates of $2.55 billion.
The company's third quarter EPS guidance of $1.42 - $1.47 missed analysts estimates of $1.50 earnings per share for the quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
SELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates AIR PRODUCTS & CHEMICALS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate AIR PRODUCTS & CHEMICALS INC (APD) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations, growth in earnings per share, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- 35.90% is the gross profit margin for AIR PRODUCTS & CHEMICALS INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 11.40% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 92.84% to $546.90 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, AIR PRODUCTS & CHEMICALS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 13.34%.
- AIR PRODUCTS & CHEMICALS INC's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AIR PRODUCTS & CHEMICALS INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.73 versus $4.66 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.79 versus $4.73).
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 37.20% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- APD, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 12.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.7%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: APD Ratings Report