Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."TCP Capital (NASDAQ: TCPC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.70%. TCP Capital Corp. is a business development company specializing in direct equity and debt investments in middle-market, senior secured loans, junior loans, originated loans, mezzanine, senior debt instruments, bonds, and secondary-market investments. It seeks to invest in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.64. The average volume for TCP Capital has been 328,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. TCP Capital has a market cap of $601.6 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 0.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates TCP Capital as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins, increase in stock price during the past year and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 102.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $7.32 million to $14.80 million.
- The gross profit margin for TCP CAPITAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 77.18%. Regardless of TCPC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TCPC's net profit margin of 70.50% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- TCP CAPITAL CORP has improved earnings per share by 43.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TCP CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.94 versus $1.20 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 18.0% in earnings ($1.59 versus $1.94).
- You can view the full TCP Capital Ratings Report.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 1117.59% to $18.28 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 130.08%.
- FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.52 versus $0.44 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.73 versus $0.52).
- FULL, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 27.1%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- In its most recent trading session, FULL has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, FULL CIRCLE CAPITAL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Full Circle Capital Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP is rather high; currently it is at 65.38%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 114.56% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 38.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $28.54 million to $39.46 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP has improved earnings per share by 34.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENNANTPARK INVESTMENT CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.39 versus $1.21 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 20.1% in earnings ($1.11 versus $1.39).
- You can view the full Pennant Park Investment Corporation Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.