Regions Financial reported a 4.8% year-over-year profit decline to $319 million from $335 million. Earnings per share dipped to 22 cents from 23 cents in the same period one year earlier. Revenue declined 3.5% year over year to $1.25 billion thanks to a drop in fee income from reduced mortgage activity.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected earnings of 19 cents a share on revenue of $1.3 billion.
The earnings per share beat helped the stock rise 1.26% to $10.41 at 10:23 a.m.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP (RF) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, RF's share price has jumped by 29.73%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, RF should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 188.93% to $653.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -85.68%.
- REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP's earnings per share declined by 10.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.78 versus $0.75 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.85 versus $0.78).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 12.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for REGIONS FINANCIAL CORP is currently very high, coming in at 88.32%. Regardless of RF's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RF's net profit margin of 16.16% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RF Ratings Report