Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Cisco Systems, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CSCO below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.2% annualized dividend yield.

CSCO+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the August expiration, for shareholders of Cisco Systems, Inc. ( CSCO) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.2% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $24 strike and collecting the premium based on the 84 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 11.2% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $24 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CSCO shares would have to climb 2.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost CSCO Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Cisco Systems, Inc., highlighting in green where the $22 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $24 strike in red:

If you liked this article you might like

Pret A Manger Takeover in the Works; Cisco's M&A Shackles Come Off - ICYMI

Market Signals Change of Direction: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Monday 9/18/17)

This Company Could Be a Fraud, Noted Short-Seller Andrew Left Says

John Chambers' Exit From Cisco Could Pave the Way for Big Moves

Chase Hires Amazon Customer-Service Exec as Digital's Rise Reshapes Branches