Shareholders of Plantronics, Inc. (PLT - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $45 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.35 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.6% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $45 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but PLT shares would have to advance 6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Plantronics, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for PLT below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing PLT's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $45 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $45 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $45. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Plantronics, Inc. (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $42.48) to be 26%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the PLT Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 903,998 contracts, with call volume at 1.59M, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
More from Stocks
Nike to Investigate Oregon Project Following NYT, Sports Illustrated Reports
Nike shut down its Nike Oregon Project in October after a runner reported the program having a toxic culture.
'Ridiculous' Market Hits 28,000: Fight the Trade Deal at Your Own Risk
What is most notable about sentiment is that there isn't much cheering.
Dow Ends Above 28,000; Stocks at Records on Trade-Deal Hopes
The three major U.S. stock indexes closed at record highs Friday following bullish comments on U.S.-China trade talks from a key White House adviser.
UnitedHealth Shares Jump After Warren's More Moderate Medicare for All Plan
Senator Elizabeth Warren's recently released her Medicare plan and several analysts noted that it was more moderate and favorable to health care insurers than expected.
Apple Sees a Big Price Target Raise, But There's One 'X' Factor
Apple's fundamentals are looking better every few weeks, but the trade war is unresolved. And it threatens those positive trending fundamentals.