NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of CBS Corporation (CBS) are higher 1.76% to $60.21, and shares of its outdoor subsidiary, CBS Outdoor America Inc. (CBSO), are higher 6.23% to $30.83, following news the IRS issued a favorable private letter ruling in regards to the company's plan for CBS Outdoor.
CBS is planning on converting its outdoor advertising subsidiary into a real estate investment trust.
At the beginning of April CBS Outdoor completed an IPO of 19% of its shares.
CBS is planning to divest its 81% stake in CBS Outdoor through a tax-free split off later this year.
Following the split off CBS Outdoor plans to elect and qualify to be taxed as a REIT, the company said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates CBS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CBS CORP (CBS) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, notable return on equity and reasonable valuation levels. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- CBS's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 28.68% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CBS should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CBS CORP has improved earnings per share by 22.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CBS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.01 versus $2.48 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.48 versus $3.01).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, CBS CORP's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CBS Ratings Report