Shareholders of Inter Parfums, Inc. (IPAR - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.4% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.75 bid, which annualizes to an additional 15.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 16.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IPAR shares would have to advance 3.1% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 8.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Inter Parfums, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for IPAR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.4% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing IPAR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Inter Parfums, Inc. (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $33.94) to be 31%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IPAR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 827,599 contracts, with call volume at 1.45M, for a put:call ratio of 0.57 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Home Depot, Kohl's, Nike, General Motors and Huawei - 5 Things You Must Know
U.S. stock futures rise after the U.S. eases restrictions on China's Huawei; Nike leads a group of athletic apparel and shoe companies in an effort to urge Donald Trump to reconsider placing tariffs on footwear; Home Depot, Kohl's and Nordstrom report earnings.
Merck's Keytruda Fails to Meet Goal in Breast Cancer Trial
Merck says one of its key cancer-fighting drugs, Keytruda, failed to meet its stand-alone goal of treating an aggressive type of breast cancer.
Dow Futures Gain, Global Tech Rebounds, as US Eases Restrictions on Huawei
Global stocks snapped back Tuesday, reversing much of the previous day's decline, following a move by the Commerce Department to ease restrictions on China's Huawei Technologies ability to do business with U.S. firms that soothed investor concern of an all-out tech war between Washington and Beijing.
Tesla Shares Extend Skid as Morgan Stanley Lays Out $16.4 Billion 'Bear Case'
Tesla shares are hit with yet another bearish broadside Tuesday, as analysts at Morgan Stanley weigh in on the clean-energy carmaker's prospects in China and the health of its debt-laden balance sheet.