Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified U.S. Bancorp ( USB) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified U.S. Bancorp as such a stock due to the following factors:
- USB has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 3.39 mentions/day.
- USB has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $354.9 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in USB with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for USB NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on USB: U.S. Bancorp, a financial services holding company, provides a range of financial services in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.2%. USB has a PE ratio of 14.1. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate U.S. Bancorp a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 15 rate it a hold. The average volume for U.S. Bancorp has been 7.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. U.S has a market cap of $73.9 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. The stock has a beta of 0.67 and a short float of 1.3% with 2.74 days to cover. Shares are up 1.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates U.S. Bancorp as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, expanding profit margins and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- U S BANCORP has improved earnings per share by 5.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, U S BANCORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.01 versus $2.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.15 versus $3.01).
- The gross profit margin for U S BANCORP is currently very high, coming in at 87.21%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 27.87% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Commercial Banks industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 2.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $1,420.00 million to $1,456.00 million.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 12.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.4%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full U.S. Bancorp Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.