Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified CSX ( CSX) as a pre-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified CSX as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CSX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $191.5 million.
- CSX traded 20,280 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:06 AM.
- CSX is down 2.1% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CSX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CSX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CSX: CSX Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, provides rail-based transportation services in the United States and Canada. It offers traditional rail services, and transports intermodal containers and trailers. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.1%. CSX has a PE ratio of 15.7. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate CSX a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold. The average volume for CSX has been 6.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. CSX has a market cap of $28.2 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 1.42 and a short float of 1.5% with 2.14 days to cover. Shares are down 1.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates CSX as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CSX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $768.00 million or 19.62% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CSX CORP has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 10.42%.
- CSX CORP' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CSX CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.83 versus $1.79 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.85 versus $1.83).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full CSX Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.