Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Ventas ( VTR) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Ventas as such a stock due to the following factors:
- VTR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $111.4 million.
- VTR has traded 1.7 million shares today.
- VTR traded in a range 217% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.24.
- VTR traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 166 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 166 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in VTR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for VTR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on VTR: Ventas, Inc. is a publicly owned real estate investment trust. The firm engages in investment, management, financing, and leasing of properties in the healthcare industry. It invests in the real estate markets of the United States and Canada. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.8%. VTR has a PE ratio of 36.7. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Ventas a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Ventas has been 1.7 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ventas has a market cap of $18.6 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 0.45 and a short float of 2.5% with 3.82 days to cover. Shares are up 12.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ventas as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, compelling growth in net income, reasonable valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- VTR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- VENTAS INC has improved earnings per share by 8.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, VENTAS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.66 versus $1.04 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.70 versus $1.66).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 25.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $86.27 million to $108.44 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $359.33 million or 26.74% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 11.04%.
- You can view the full Ventas Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.