Splunk Inc. (NASDAQ:SPLK), provider of the leading software platform for real-time operational intelligence, today announced the general availability of version 3.1 of the Splunk® App for VMware, which provides comprehensive operational visibility into virtualized environments. This release delivers significant new features, including 200 out-of-the-box reports, the ability to instantly identify outliers for real-time triage and built-in correlation into storage systems including a direct drill down into data from NetApp Data ONTAP. Contact Splunk to get a 60-day free trial of version 3.1 of the Splunk App for VMware today. “Enterprise clouds based on VMware are transforming traditional data centers and driving the need for operational visibility across all infrastructure and application tiers,” said Leena Joshi, senior director of infrastructure operations marketing, Splunk. “The latest version of the Splunk App for VMware pre-packages correlations across virtualization and storage tiers to help organizations tackle the hardest operational problems. We are excited to play such a critical role in simplifying the way data center operations personnel gain real-time and historical insights into the virtualization layer, with the full context of application and infrastructure performance, health, capacity and security.” "RMS has been using Splunk Enterprise and the Splunk App for VMware since its earliest days; Splunk has been integral to the success of our core business platform, RMS(one)," said James Lord, senior manager of cloud operational intelligence and monitoring, RMS, a leading provider of software, services, and expertise for the quantification and management of catastrophe risk. “Splunk software has proven itself invaluable by helping us quantify customer demand, right-size our environment and troubleshoot any issues in real time. Not only are we able to adapt reports in the Splunk App for VMware for in-depth analytics, but we are also able to correlate data across diverse applications and operating systems for a unified view of our infrastructure and service.”
“Virtualized environments introduce visibility gaps that often leave administrators combing through multiple tiers of the infrastructure to solve the most basic of issues,” said Torsten Volk, research director, Systems Management, Enterprise Management Associates. “Some of the most valuable insights are gained when virtualization administrators pair real-time monitoring with cross-tier analytics to support root cause discovery and other operational analytics such as capacity management, forecasting and anomaly detection. By extending its correlation capabilities to include drill-down into the storage tier and adding new topology visualizations to expose outliers, the Splunk App for VMware addresses a growing demand for integrated insights across diverse technology tiers.”Watch the Splunk App for VMware video to learn more about the impact the app can make on your business and operations. Features of version 3.1 of the Splunk App for VMware include:
- Operational Performance Insights: Visualize the operational health of the VMware environment with more than 200 out-of-the-box, customizable reports; identify underperforming/distressed hosts, virtual machines (VMs) and data stores in real time.
- Advanced Mapping Visualizations: Access interactive, visual maps of your virtual environment, highlighting problems and statistical comparisons based on predefined, customizable thresholds. Immediately identify outliers that fall outside the normal distribution on a statistical map of your VMware environment.
- NetApp and Storage Correlations: Accelerate troubleshooting, optimize capacity and streamline workloads with out-of-the-box correlation between VMware virtualization layer and storage systems, including direct drill down into data from NetApp Data ONTAP storage for in-depth investigation.
- End-to-End Visibility: Correlate data from virtual infrastructure with data from applications, operating systems, hardware and networks to gain operational intelligence across all technology tiers.
- Advanced Analytics: Forecast future resource CPU, memory and disk requirements on VMware VCenter, ESXi hosts and VMs using various predictive algorithms; gain visibility into potential security breaches and non-compliant usage patterns; explore unique errors and exceptions; track changes with visibility into vCenter tasks.