Intervest Bancshares Corporation (IBC) (NASDAQ-GS: IBCA), parent company of Intervest National Bank (INB), today announced that its net earnings for the first quarter of 2014 (Q1-14) increased 12% to $3.8 million, or $0.17 per share, from $3.4 million, or $0.16 per share, for the first quarter of 2013 (Q1-13). Since 1993, Intervest has been engaged in commercial and multifamily real estate mortgage lending with an emphasis on cash flowing properties located mostly on the East Coast of the U.S. Most recently, Intervest has also expanded its lending market to include some Midwest and Western states, primarily in loans on single tenant credit and non-credit (triple-net leased) retail properties. Intervest's lending operation is highly personalized and targeted to provide customized financing solutions for real estate acquisitions and operations. Intervest does not make construction or land development loans or single family home loans. Operating Summary
- There were no preferred dividend requirements in Q1-14, compared to $0.5 million in Q1-13, due to the repurchase and retirement of IBC's preferred stock (TARP) during June and August 2013.
- Net interest and dividend income increased 13% to $10.2 million in Q1-14, from $9.0 million in Q1-13, reflecting a higher net interest margin. The margin (exclusive of loan prepayment income) benefitted from lower deposit costs and increased to 2.73% in Q1-14 from 2.37% in Q1-13.
- A credit for loan losses of $0.5 million was recorded in Q1-14, compared to a $1.0 million credit in Q1-13. The amount for Q1-14 reflected the upgrade of one performing TDR loan due to an increase in the loan's collateral value. The Q1-13 credit was primarily the result of $1.1 million of cash recoveries of prior charge offs from settlements of litigation relating to foreclosure actions.
- No provision for real estate losses was recorded in Q1-14, compared to $0.6 million in Q1-13. The amount for Q1-13 reflected decreases in the estimated fair value of a number of properties owned through foreclosure (REO).
- Noninterest income (inclusive of loan prepayment income) remained relatively unchanged at $0.8 million in Q1-14, compared to $0.7 million in Q1-13, as a lower level of loan prepayment income was offset by a decrease in security impairment charges.
- Real estate expenses, net of rental and other income, amounted to $0.2 million in Q1-14, compared to net income of $0.9 million in Q1-13. The income for Q1-13 reflected $1.5 million of cash recoveries of expenses from litigation settlements. Excluding the recoveries, real estate expenses would have amounted to $0.6 million Q1-13.
- Operating expenses increased to $4.6 million in Q1-14, from $4.2 million in Q1-13, primarily due to normal salary increases, awards of bonuses to employees and higher stock compensation expense, partially offset by a decrease in FDIC insurance expense.
- Our efficiency ratio, which measures our ability to control expenses as a percentage of revenues, continued to be favorable and was 41% in Q1-14, compared to 42% in Q1-13.
- Assets increased to $1.60 billion at March 31, 2014, from $1.57 billion at December 31, 2013, reflecting increases of $54 million in cash and short-term investments and $15 million in loans, partially offset by a $38 million decrease in security investments.
- Loans outstanding increased to $1.15 billion at March 31, 2014, from $1.13 billion at December 31, 2013.
- Loan originations increased to $67 million in Q1-14, from $62 million in Q1-13. Loan repayments decreased to $52 million in Q1-14 from $86 million in Q1-13.
- Deposits increased to $1.30 billion at March 31, 2014, from $1.28 billion at December 31, 2013.
- Stockholders' equity increased to $202 million at March 31, 2014, from $197 million at December 31, 2013, reflecting primarily an increase in retained earnings of $3.8 million.
- INB was well-capitalized at March 31, 2014 with regulatory capital ratios as follows: Tier One Leverage - 15.55%; Tier One Risk-Based Capital - 19.84%; and Total Risk-Based Capital - 21.10%.
- Book value per common share increased to $9.16 at March 31, 2014, from $8.99 at December 31, 2013.
- Nonaccrual loans totaled $38.7 million at March 31, 2014, compared to $35.9 million at December 31, 2013, and included certain restructured loans (TDRs) at each period of $32.6 million and $33.2 million, respectively. The TDRs were current, have performed in accordance with their restructured terms and had a weighted-average interest rate of approximately 4.6% at each date.
- Accruing TDR loans amounted to approximately $13 million at March 31, 2014 and December 31, 2013. These loans had a weighted-average interest rate of approximately 5% at each date.
- The allowance for loan losses was $27.4 million, or 2.40% of total loans, at March 31, 2014, compared to $27.8 million, or 2.47%, at December 31, 2013. The allowance included specific reserves allocated to impaired loans at each date (totaling $5.7 million and $6.1 million, respectively). Impaired loans (comprised of nonaccrual loans, accruing TDRs and one other accruing and performing loan) totaled $59.9 million at March 31, 2014, compared to $57.2 million at December 31, 2013.
- REO decreased to $9.3 million at March 31, 2014 from $10.6 million at December 31, 2013, reflecting the sale of one property.
LoansThe $15 million increase in loans reflected $66.8 million of new originations and $0.1 million of recoveries of prior charge offs, offset by $36.6 million of payoffs and $15.4 million of principal amortization and partial pay downs. New originations were comprised of $50 million of commercial real estate (CRE) loans, $15 million of multifamily loans and $2 million of loans secured by investor owned 1-4 family condominiums. CRE loans included $20 million of single tenant credit and $15 million of single tenant non-credit properties. In Q1-14, new originations had a weighted-average rate, term and loan-to-value ratio of 4.76%, 7.0 years and 59%, respectively, compared to 4.60%, 5.1 years and 58%, respectively, for new loans in Q1-13. Nearly all of the new loans in both periods had fixed interest rates. Loans paid off in Q1-14 and Q1-13 had a weighted-average rate of 5.44% and 6.14%, respectively. At March 31, 2014, the loan portfolio was concentrated in CRE loans and was comprised of 75% of loans secured by CRE, 18% secured by multifamily properties and 6% by investor owned 1-4 family condominiums. The single tenant category totaled $191 million at March 31, 2014, or approximately 22% of the total CRE loan portfolio. Deposits The $22 million increase in deposits reflected a $30 million increase in certificate of deposit accounts, partially offset by an $8 million decrease in total money market and checking accounts. Termination of Agreement As previously reported, on March 13, 2014, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York announced the termination of the written agreement dated as of January 14, 2011 between IBC and the FRB. The termination was effective March 7, 2014. As a result of this termination and the March 2013 termination of INB’s formal agreement with its primary regulator, neither the Company nor the Bank is subject to any formal or informal regulatory agreement.
Intervest Bancshares Corporation (IBC) is a bank holding company. Its operating subsidiary is Intervest National Bank (INB), a nationally chartered commercial bank that has its headquarters and full-service banking office at One Rockefeller Plaza, in New York City, and a total of six full-service banking offices in Clearwater and Gulfport, Florida. IBC's Common Stock is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market: Trading Symbol IBCA.This release may contain forward-looking information. Words such as "may," "will," "could," "should," "would," "believe," "anticipate," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "plan," "project," "assume," "indicate," "continue," "target," "goal," and similar words or expressions of the future are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Except for historical information, the matters discussed herein are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that may adversely affect our business, financial condition and results of operations. The following factors, among others, could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in forward looking statements: changes in economic conditions and real estate values both nationally and in our market areas; changes in our borrowing facilities, volume of loan originations and deposit flows; changes in the levels of our non-interest income and provisions for loan and real estate losses; changes in the composition and credit quality of our loan portfolio; legislative or regulatory changes, including increased expenses arising therefrom; changes in interest rates which may reduce our net interest margin and net interest income; increases in competition; technological changes which we may not be able to implement; changes in accounting or regulatory principles, policies or guidelines; changes in tax laws and our ability to utilize our deferred tax asset, including NOL and AMT carryforwards; and our ability to attract and retain key members of management. Reference is made to IBC's filings with the SEC for further discussion of risks and uncertainties regarding our business. Forward looking statements speak only as of the date they are made. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise forward looking information, whether as a result of new, updated information, future events, or otherwise. Historical results are not necessarily indicative of our future prospects.
Selected Consolidated Financial Information Follows.
|INTERVEST BANCSHARES CORPORATION Selected Consolidated Financial Information|
|(Dollars in thousands, except per share amounts)||Quarter Ended|
|Selected Operating Data:||2014||2013|
|Interest and dividend income||$||15,513||$||16,249|
|Net interest and dividend income||10,243||9,004|
|Credit for loan losses||(500||)||(1,000||)|
|Provision for real estate losses||-||629|
|Real estate expenses (income), net||201||(986||)|
|Earnings before income taxes||6,836||6,966|
|Provision for income taxes||2,994||3,075|
|Net earnings before preferred dividend requirements||3,842||3,891|
|Preferred dividend requirements (1)||-||462|
|Net earnings available to common stockholders||$||3,842||$||3,429|
|Basic and diluted earnings per common share||$||0.17||$||0.16|
|Average shares used for basic earnings per share||21,991,451||21,832,200|
|Average shares used for diluted earnings per share (2)||22,220,501||21,854,455|
|Common shares outstanding at end of period||22,021,190||21,925,089|
|Common stock options/warrants outstanding at end of period (2)||1,029,478||1,069,022|
|Yield on interest-earning assets||4.14||%||4.27||%|
|Cost of funds||1.59||%||2.13||%|
|Net interest margin (3)||2.73||%||2.37||%|
|Return on average assets (annualized)||0.97||%||0.95||%|
|Return on average common equity (annualized)||7.74||%||8.29||%|
|Effective income tax rate||44||%||44||%|
|Efficiency ratio (4)||41||%||42||%|
|Average loans outstanding||$||1,131,526||$||1,096,881|
|Average securities outstanding||378,516||435,611|
|Average short-term investments outstanding||8,882||10,869|
|Average assets outstanding||1,585,025||1,638,065|
|Average interest-bearing deposits outstanding||$||1,287,449||$||1,325,942|
|Average borrowings outstanding||56,702||56,702|
|Average stockholders' equity||198,669||212,510|
|At Mar 31,||At Dec 31,||At Sep 30,||At Jun 30,||At Mar 31,|
|Selected Financial Condition Information:||2014||2013||2013||2013||2013|
|Cash and short-term investments||79,157||24,700||30,253||86,977||83,945|
|Securities held to maturity||346,425||383,937||416,321||410,986||409,184|
|Loans, net of unearned fees||1,142,231||1,127,522||1,100,277||1,056,191||1,081,482|
|Allowance for loan losses||27,418||27,833||26,777||26,455||28,210|
|Allowance for loan losses/net loans||2.40||%||2.47||%||2.43||%||2.50||%||2.61||%|
|Borrowed funds and accrued interest payable||56,769||57,570||57,165||56,760||63,373|
|Preferred stockholder's equity||-||-||-||18,620||24,720|
|Common stockholders' equity||201,644||196,991||192,288||193,155||190,545|
|Common book value per share (5)||9.16||8.99||8.77||8.64||8.48|
|Loan chargeoffs for the quarter||$||-||$||-||$||-||$||1,823||$||115|
|Loan recoveries for the quarter||85||106||72||818||1,222|
|Real estate chargeoffs for the quarter||824||256||4,171||-||-|
|Security impairment writedowns for the quarter||-||-||273||325||366|
|Nonaccrual loans (6)||$||38,750||$||35,903||$||39,517||$||39,069||$||40,931|
|Accruing troubled debt restructured (TDR) loans (7)||13,337||13,429||11,381||11,464||13,906|
|Accruing performing loan||7,777||7,828||-||-||-|
|Real estate owned, net of valuation allowance||9,335||10,669||12,019||14,869||18,334|
|Investment securities on a cash basis||-||-||2,604||2,923||3,292|
|Loans 90 days past due and still accruing||-||4,087||18,403||5,285||5,916|
|Loans 60-89 days past due and still accruing||-||-||3,265||11,065||-|
|Loans 31-59 days past due and still accruing||10,927||2,642||-||-||12,998|
(2) Outstanding options/warrants to purchase 110,340 shares and 928,112 shares were not dilutive for the 2014 and 2013 periods, respectively.(3) Net interest margin is reported exclusive of income from loan prepayments, which is included as a component of noninterest income. Inclusive of such income, the margin would be 2.87% and 2.54%, respectively. (4) Represents operating expenses as a percentage of net interest and dividend income plus noninterest income. (5) Represents common stockholders' equity less any preferred dividends in arrears (none at March 31, 2014, December 31, 2013 and September 30, 2013; $3.7 million at June 30, 2013 and $4.6 million at March 31, 2013) divided by common shares outstanding. (6) Include performing TDRs maintained on nonaccrual status, or cash basis, of $33 million, $33 million, $36 million, $36 million and $33 million, respectively. (7) Represent loans whose terms have been modified mostly through the deferral of principal and/or a partial reduction in interest payments, or extension of maturity date. At March 31, 2014, all loans were performing and were yielding approximately 5% on a weighted average basis.
|INTERVEST BANCSHARES CORPORATION Consolidated Historical Financial Information|
|At or For The Period Ended|
|($ in thousands, except per share amounts)||Quarter Ended Mar 31, 2014||Year Ended Dec 31, 2013||Year Ended Dec 31, 2012||Year Ended Dec 31, 2011||Year Ended Dec 31, 2010|
|Balance Sheet Highlights:|
|Cash and short-term investments||79,157||24,700||60,395||29,863||23,911|
|Securities held to maturity||346,425||383,937||443,777||700,444||614,335|
|Loans, net of unearned fees||1,142,231||1,127,522||1,107,466||1,163,790||1,337,326|
|Allowance for loan losses||27,418||27,833||28,103||30,415||34,840|
|Allowance for loan losses/net loans||2.40||%||2.47||%||2.54||%||2.61||%||2.61||%|
|Borrowed funds and accrued interest payable||56,769||57,570||62,930||78,606||84,676|
|Preferred stockholder's equity||-||-||24,624||24,238||23,852|
|Common stockholders' equity||201,644||196,991||186,323||173,293||162,108|
|Common book value per share (1)||9.16||8.99||8.44||8.07||7.61|
|Market price per common share||7.45||7.51||3.89||2.65||2.93|
|Asset Quality Highlights|
|Accruing troubled debt restructured loans||13,337||13,429||20,076||9,030||3,632|
|Accruing performing loan||7,777||7,828||-||-||-|
|Real estate owned, net of valuation allowance||9,335||10,669||15,923||28,278||27,064|
|Investment securities on a cash basis||-||-||3,721||4,378||2,318|
|Loans 90 days past due and still accruing||-||4,087||4,391||1,925||7,481|
|Loans 31-89 days past due and still accruing||10,927||2,642||15,497||28,770||11,364|
|Real estate chargeoffs||824||4,427||4,766||-||15,614|
|Impairment writedowns on security investments||-||964||582||201||1,192|
|Statement of Operations Highlights:|
|Interest and dividend income||$||15,513||$||63,616||$||77,284||$||92,837||$||107,072|
|Net interest and dividend income||10,243||36,506||39,217||42,297||44,380|
|(Credit) provision for loan losses||(500||)||(550||)||-||5,018||101,463|
|Provision for real estate losses||-||1,105||4,068||3,349||15,509|
|Real estate expenses (income), net||201||(836||)||2,146||1,619||4,105|
|Earnings (loss) before income taxes||6,836||26,149||22,529||20,758||(93,656||)|
|Provision (benefit) for income taxes||2,994||11,655||10,307||9,512||(40,348||)|
|Net earnings (loss) before preferred dividend requirements||3,842||14,494||12,222||11,246||(53,308||)|
|Preferred dividend requirements||-||1,057||1,801||1,730||1,667|
|Net earnings (loss) available to common stockholders||$||3,842||$||13,437||$||10,421||$||9,516||$||(54,975||)|
|Basic earnings (loss) per common share||$||0.17||$||0.61||$||0.48||$||0.45||$||(4.95||)|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per common share||$||0.17||$||0.61||$||0.48||$||0.45||$||(4.95||)|
|Average common shares used to calculate:|
|Basic earnings (loss) per common share||21,991,451||21,894,030||21,566,009||21,126,187||11,101,196|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per common share||22,220,501||21,993,626||21,568,196||21,126,187||11,101,196|
|Common shares outstanding||22,021,190||21,918,623||21,589,589||21,125,289||21,126,489|
|Net interest margin (2)||2.73||%||2.39||%||2.29||%||2.18||%||2.11||%|
|Return on average assets||0.97||%||0.90||%||0.66||%||0.56||%||-2.42||%|
|Return on average common equity||7.74||%||7.58||%||6.82||%||6.74||%||-32.20||%|
|Effective income tax rate||44||%||45||%||46||%||46||%||43||%|
(1) Represents common stockholders' equity less any preferred dividends in arrears (none at March 31, 2014 and December 31, 2013, $4.2 million at December 31, 2012, $2.8 million at December 31, 2011 and $1.4 million at December 31, 2010) divided by common shares outstanding.(2) Net interest margin is reported exclusive of income from loan prepayments, which is included as a component of noninterest income. Inclusive of such income, the margin would be 2.87%, 2.56%, 2.59%, 2.31% and 2.17%, respectively.