NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Zebra Technologies Corp. (ZBRA) are up 10.21% to $75.25 in pre-market trade after the manufacturer and seller of specialty printing devices this morning said it expects to report sales for the first quarter of 2014 in the range of $287,000,000 to $289,000,000, or 21% over the $236,937,000 in sales reported for the first quarter of 2013.
Earnings are expected in a range of $0.79 to $0.82 per share, up about 74% from $0.46 per share for the first quarter of 2013.
Earnings for the first quarter of 2014 are expected in a range of $0.88 to $0.91 per share, excluding $0.09 per share of approximately $5 million in acquisition expenses.
Zebra is scheduled to report its 2014 first quarter financial results and host a conference call on May 6.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CP as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CP (ZBRA) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- ZBRA has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.02, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 46.75% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, ZBRA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CP has improved earnings per share by 20.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CP increased its bottom line by earning $2.64 versus $2.35 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.45 versus $2.64).
- The gross profit margin for ZEBRA TECHNOLOGIES CP is rather high; currently it is at 52.01%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 14.63% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ZBRA Ratings Report