Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of McDonald's Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for MCD below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.3% annualized dividend yield.

MCD+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the May expiration, for shareholders of McDonald's Corp ( MCD) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.3% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $100 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.61 bid, annualizes to an additional 12.8% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 16.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $100 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MCD shares would have to climb 0.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost MCD Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for McDonald's Corp, highlighting in green where the $97 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $100 strike in red:

If you liked this article you might like

How to Travel in Style Exactly Like Billionaire Warren Buffett

Panera Bread Dares CEOs of McDonald's, Wendy's and Others to Eat Off Kids Menu

How Healthy Is That Happy Meal? Inside the Kids' Menus at McDonald's and More

Stocks Dad Would Have Loved, And Why He Was Right

5 Things on the Menu at Jollibee, the McDonald's of the Philippines