Strategy To YieldBoost OZRK From 1.5% To 14.8% Using Options

Shareholders of Bank of the Ozarks, Inc. (OZRK) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $65 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.85 bid, which annualizes to an additional 13.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $65 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but OZRK shares would have to climb 3% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 7.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Bank of the Ozarks, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for OZRK below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.5% annualized dividend yield.

OZRK+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing OZRK's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $65 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $65 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $65. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Bank of the Ozarks, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $63.08) to be 22%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the OZRK Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 621,811 contracts, with call volume at 1.19M, for a put:call ratio of 0.52 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Fiat Chrysler Recalls 4.8 Million Vehicles Over Cruise Control Issue

Fiat Chrysler Recalls 4.8 Million Vehicles Over Cruise Control Issue

One Thing to Consider Over Memorial Day Weekend: Are Stocks About to Collapse?

One Thing to Consider Over Memorial Day Weekend: Are Stocks About to Collapse?

North Korea, Apple, GPDR and Gap - 5 Things You Must Know

North Korea, Apple, GPDR and Gap - 5 Things You Must Know

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Complying With GDPR Could Be Costly for Facebook, Google and Other Tech Giants

Complying With GDPR Could Be Costly for Facebook, Google and Other Tech Giants