Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Capstead Mortgage Corporation (NYSE: CMO) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.70%. Capstead Mortgage Corporation operates as a real estate investment trust in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.04. The average volume for Capstead Mortgage Corporation has been 1,029,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Capstead Mortgage Corporation has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 4.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Capstead Mortgage Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP is currently very high, coming in at 93.21%. Regardless of CMO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CMO's net profit margin of 63.18% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP has improved earnings per share by 12.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP reported lower earnings of $0.93 versus $1.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.39 versus $0.93).
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $67.10 million or 4.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Capstead Mortgage Corporation Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 33.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 393.71% to $13.83 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, EDUCATION REALTY TRUST INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 11.12%.
- EDUCATION REALTY TRUST INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EDUCATION REALTY TRUST INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.05 versus -$0.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects earnings to be in line with last year ($0.05 versus $0.05).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 65.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $4.79 million to $1.64 million.
- EDR has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 8.12% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Education Realty Ratings Report.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 105.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $14.44 million to $29.62 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 6.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST has improved earnings per share by 12.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST increased its bottom line by earning $0.44 versus $0.36 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 29.5% in earnings ($0.31 versus $0.44).
- The gross profit margin for PIEDMONT OFFICE REALTY TRUST is rather low; currently it is at 21.21%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 21.43% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $46.73 million or 42.05% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full Piedmont Office Realty Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.