Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Inovio Pharmaceuticals ( INO) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Inovio Pharmaceuticals as such a stock due to the following factors:
- INO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $23.8 million.
- INO has traded 492,427 shares today.
- INO is up 3.2% today.
- INO was down 5.4% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in INO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for INO NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on INO: Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, discovers, develops, and develops synthetic vaccines and immune therapies focusing on cancers and infectious diseases. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Inovio Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Inovio Pharmaceuticals has been 7.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Inovio has a market cap of $709.2 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 3.37 and a short float of 14.5% with 2.94 days to cover. Shares are up 2.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Inovio Pharmaceuticals as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 2245.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.66 million to -$15.45 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC's earnings have gone downhill when comparing its most recently reported quarter with the same quarter a year earlier. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INOVIO PHARMACEUTICALS INC reported poor results of -$0.35 versus -$0.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.12 versus -$0.35).
- This stock has managed to rise its share value by 549.12% over the past twelve months. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in INO do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- INO has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, INO has a quick ratio of 1.93, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Inovio Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.