- ANR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $48.3 million.
- ANR has traded 171,271 shares today.
- ANR is down 4.1% today.
- ANR was up 7.3% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ANR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ANR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ANR: Alpha Natural Resources, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, is engaged in extracting, processing, and marketing thermal and metallurgical coal in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Alpha Natural Resources a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 14 rate it a hold. The average volume for Alpha Natural Resources has been 11.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Alpha Natural has a market cap of $1.0 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 2.44 and a short float of 22.3% with 4.75 days to cover. Shares are down 36.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Alpha Natural Resources as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 181.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$127.58 million to -$358.79 million.
- The gross profit margin for ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 8.29%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -32.80% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$69.56 million or 132.69% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 39.95%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 179.31% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, ALPHA NATURAL RESOURCES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Alpha Natural Resources Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.