One Put, One Call Option To Know About For American Capital Agency

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is American Capital Agency Corp (AGNC). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the September expiration for AGNC.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $20 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 60 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 3% return against the $20 commitment, or a 6.6% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost AGNC Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to AGNC's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless American Capital Agency Corp sees its shares fall 9.1% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $19.40 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 60 cents from $20), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 6.6% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the September expiration, for shareholders of American Capital Agency Corp ( AGNC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 11.8% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $22 strike and collecting the premium based on the 80 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 8% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 19.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $22 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AGNC shares would have to climb 0% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 3.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost AGNC Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for American Capital Agency Corp, highlighting in green where the $20 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $22 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for American Capital Agency Corp (considering the last 252 trading day AGNC historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $22.00) to be 32%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 936,812 contracts, with call volume at 936,812, for a put:call ratio of 0.75 so far for the day, which is above normal compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65. In other words, if we look at the number of call buyers and then use the long-term median to project the number of put buyers we'd expect to see, we're actually seeing more put buyers than expected out there in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Alphabet, Caterpillar, Coca-Cola and Amazon - 5 Things You Must Know

Alphabet, Caterpillar, Coca-Cola and Amazon - 5 Things You Must Know

Tech Stocks Have You Baffled? Educate Yourself in Some Portfolio Diversification

Tech Stocks Have You Baffled? Educate Yourself in Some Portfolio Diversification

Alphabet Shares Rise on Earnings, Revenue Beat But Some Concerns Remain

Alphabet Shares Rise on Earnings, Revenue Beat But Some Concerns Remain

Semiconductor Stocks Get Smashed Again as Earnings Weakness Continues
Dow and Nasdaq Finish Lower as 10-Year Treasury Yield Hovers Near 3%

Dow and Nasdaq Finish Lower as 10-Year Treasury Yield Hovers Near 3%