While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Regency Energy Partners (NYSE: RGP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.00%. Regency Energy Partners LP is engaged in the gathering and processing, compression, treating, and transportation of natural gas; and the transportation, fractionation, and storage of natural gas liquids (NGLs). The company has a P/E ratio of 158.29. The average volume for Regency Energy Partners has been 765,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Regency Energy Partners has a market cap of $5.8 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 3.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Regency Energy Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, increase in net income, growth in earnings per share, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 87.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$8.00 million to -$1.00 million.
- REGENCY ENERGY PARTNERS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGENCY ENERGY PARTNERS LP reported lower earnings of $0.04 versus $0.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.57 versus $0.04).
- RGP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.68 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.71 is weak.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Regency Energy Partners Ratings Report.
- POM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- PEPCO HOLDINGS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PEPCO HOLDINGS INC reported lower earnings of $0.34 versus $0.95 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.21 versus $0.34).
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $230.00 million or 32.94% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, PEPCO HOLDINGS INC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 42.80%.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Electric Utilities industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 34.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $43.00 million to $58.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for PEPCO HOLDINGS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 25.66%. Regardless of POM's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.31% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Pepco Holdings Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 7.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 29.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. When compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CVR ENERGY INC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 660.95% to $118.80 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CVR ENERGY INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -23.34%.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.57, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that CVI's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 2.18 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- You can view the full CVR Energy Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.