YieldBoost GMCR From 0.9% To 8.3% Using Options

Shareholders of Keurig Green Mountain (GMCR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $175 strike and collect the premium based on the $14.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $175 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but GMCR shares would have to advance 62.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 75.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the Nasdaq 100 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Keurig Green Mountain Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for GMCR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield.

GMCR+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing GMCR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $175 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $175 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $175. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Keurig Green Mountain Inc (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $107.60) to be 53%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the GMCR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 497,970 contracts, with call volume at 823,146, for a put:call ratio of 0.60 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Here's Why Snap Shares Climbed Monday

Here's Why Snap Shares Climbed Monday

Dropbox Soars in Third-Straight Record-Setting Session

Dropbox Soars in Third-Straight Record-Setting Session

Musk's The Boring Company Just Got a Bit Less Boring

Musk's The Boring Company Just Got a Bit Less Boring

Tyson Foods CEO: We Aren't Done Making Deals

Tyson Foods CEO: We Aren't Done Making Deals

Dow Drops Over 100 Points on Trade War Worries

Dow Drops Over 100 Points on Trade War Worries