Shareholders of Mosaic (MOS) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2015 covered call at the $57.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.38 bid, which annualizes to an additional 3.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.5% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $57.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MOS shares would have to advance 16.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 19.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Mosaic Co , looking at the dividend history chart for MOS below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing MOS's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $57.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2015 covered call at the $57.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $57.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Mosaic Co (considering the last 253 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $49.44) to be 32%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MOS Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 497,970 contracts, with call volume at 823,146, for a put:call ratio of 0.60 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
HOST // Robert Powell
Retirement Planning Event
More from Stocks
No News Isn't Good News for Tesla Stock in Elon Musk's Fight With the SEC
The swashbuckling CEO's lawyers want permission to make additional arguments, but the judge has been silent so far.
Ford to Make Electric Vehicles at Michigan Plant as Part of $11B Investment
Ford will expand production capacity for next generation electric vehicles at a second North American plant in southeast Michigan.
Facebook Is More Than Just a Social Network, and Should Be Valued Accordingly
Facebook is cheaply valued and focused on growing its commerce business.
Bulls vs. Bears: Price Action Will Determine the Winner
Maybe the Fed is doing the wrong thing, but you don't argue with the guy that prints money.