While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Old Republic International Corporation (NYSE: ORI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.40%. Old Republic International Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in underwriting insurance products primarily in the United States and Canada. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.23. The average volume for Old Republic International Corporation has been 1,543,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Old Republic International Corporation has a market cap of $4.3 billion and is part of the insurance industry. Shares are down 4.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Old Republic International Corporation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 13.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- ORI's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.15 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 512.50% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 25.95% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, ORI should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $227.80 million or 8.63% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, OLD REPUBLIC INTL CORP's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 22.05%.
- You can view the full Old Republic International Corporation Ratings Report.
- OHI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC has improved earnings per share by 26.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.46 versus $1.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.63 versus $1.46).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 39.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $33.92 million to $47.21 million.
- The gross profit margin for OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVS INC is rather high; currently it is at 65.39%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 43.01% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 55.73% to $79.90 million when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 10.91%.
- You can view the full Omega Healthcare Investors Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 44.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- BUCKEYE PARTNERS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BUCKEYE PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $3.23 versus $2.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.82 versus $3.23).
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $100.09 million or 6.88% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -23.15%.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Buckeye Partners L.P Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.